The American Hotel Hostel
MRJ renovated the existing International District’s 34,000 square foot building to a 320 bed Hostel available for nightly rentals to international travelers and students. Constructed in 1925 by Rainier Heat and Power Company as a single room occupancy hotel, the American Hotel provided low-cost housing to workers in the fishing, railroad, timber, and shipping industries. The Union Gospel Mission bought the building in 1980 and used it as a homeless shelter for women and children. The American Hotel has 90 rooms mostly containing two bunk beds for four guests to share. The largest room has seven bunk beds for 14 people. There also is also a TV room, computer room and a library.
Exterior work included rehabilitation of the existing windows, exterior painting, storefront work and signage. Interior construction included tenant improvement construction in the basement, new restrooms and new interior finishes.